• What is the AMEND Hardship Fund?

    The AMEND Hardship Fund is a flexible fund for our registered members in financial need.  The size of the Fund is agreed annually by the Trustee Board depending on the level of surplus or unrestricted funds available.

    The Fund primarily exists to help our members in the UK and Eire wanting to attend one of our patient information events who cannot afford the travel costs, but also may be applied to for help in purchasing items to make a patient more comfortable during periods of illness (e.g. a bed or recliner chair).

    Decisions on payments to patients in need at the time of need will be made on a case by case basis by the Board of Trustees and in line with other AMEND policies.

    Who can apply?

    The Hardship Fund is available only to members of AMEND, ACC Support UK and Phaeo Para Support UK (join for free here).

    Typically, funding may be provided to members who are:

    • unemployed
    • receiving Job Seeker’s Allowance, Universal Credit, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or equivalent benefit system within another devolved nation of the UK.

    Evidence of this status may be required, including:

    • for Job Seekers Allowance this is the ES40 signing-on card
    • for other allowances and benefits this is a letter dated within six months of application to the Fund.


    There is flexibility in some of this criteria during the COVID-19 pandemic, e.g. open to any member of AMEND, ACC Support UK or Phaeo Para Support UK who was self-employed or lost their job and are still waiting for benefits to kick in.  If in doubt, just get in touch.


    How do I apply?

    Please contact Jo or Helen at the AMEND office in confidence using the email below.  Include details of your situation (i.e. unemployed, on benefits, etc) and of what you would like to apply for (e.g. travel to an event).

    The office may request more details from you and will then forward your request (anonymously) to the Board of Trustees for their consideration.

    We will inform you of the result of your application as soon as possible.  If your application is successful, AMEND will organise your travel or other purchase directly with the seller (reimbursement on provision of receipts is also possible).


General Financial Information

  • More Financial Information and Help

    Financial or other help may be available from the following sources:


    Food Banks

    You can get a food bank voucher from a front line professional, such as a doctor, social worker, adviser at Citizens Advice Bureau or police. Your nearest Citizens Advice can often refer you if you do not have contact with the police, doctor or a social worker.